Let me help guide you, your child & your family through the difficult challenges that life can bring.
I provide individual therapy/counseling for children, teens, and young adults who are experiencing a variety of emotional or social difficulties due to academic problems, difficulties with peers, self-confidence issues, or recent changes in their lives (e.g., a family move, a school change, transition to college, or adjusting to the challenges of home-based online learning as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. I specialize in learning disorders and treating anxiety, depression, self-injurious behavior, and social and behavior issues. I tailor intervention strategies to meet the individual needs and the developmental levels of each client.
I offer psychoeducational consultation services to students of all ages to assist with study skills, motivation, time management, and to help mitigate school related stress.
Knowing that a strong and balanced family is a source of healing and security for children of all ages, providing support to help your family develop adaptive and effective ways to be together is an emphasis of my practice. I offer family therapy and counseling for many different kinds of families: blended, single parent, traditional, foster/adoptive, and families where children are being raised by grandparents or extended family members. However, at this time, due to COVID-19, sessions are web-based only. The advantage of having virtual sessions is that all family members, no matter where they are located, can participate.
I believe that a strong family begins with the parent(s) and therefore, "parent work" remains the cornerstone of my treatment philosophy. I provide parenting support and education. I can teach you skills that can help you develop a more positive relationship with your child through improving communication. I also work with separated and divorced parents to help with co-parenting issues. In this role, I assist children and their parents make the adjustment to new schedules and living arrangements. I also help parents develop an action plan to address home and school issues that may arise as the direct result of children living in two different homes.
And finally, as a behavior specialist, I work closely with parents who need guidance in managing their child's tantrums, oppositional, defiant, and attention seeking behaviors. I educate and empower parents about ways to bring about positive change in their parenting skills.
- Depression & Anxiety (related to academic, social issues, or recent changes & loss)
- Fears, Phobias, and Panic Attacks
- Self-esteem and Self-confidence
- Separation Anxiety
- School Refusal, School Phobia & Selective Mutism
- Stress management
- Perfectionism & obsessive compulsive behavior
- Self-injurious behavior
- Oppositional or defiant behavior
- Aggression & anger management
- Motivational issues
- Electronic game addiction
- Social problems (difficulty making and keeping friends)
- Life Transition & Coaching for young adults & parents
- Divorce and Grief Counseling
- Body Image Issues
- Sibling rivalry & conflict resolution
- Parent child relationship conflicts
- Reducing tension and negativity within family
- Improving communication
- Establishing appropriate boundaries, structure, and consistency in the home
- Increasing positive family interaction
- Reduce tantrums, aggression, and whining
- Reduce oppositional defiant behaviors in children and teens
- Increase compliant behavior
- Reduce attention getting and demanding behaviors
- Assist with bedtime issues
- Reduce avoidance behaviors
- Reduce homework battles
- Identify underlying issues leading to behavior problems
- Manage sibing rivalry more effectively
- Manage your stress levels
- Bring about lasting changes in behavior
- Improve Parent-to-Parent communication
- Develop strategies to work as a "parent team"
- Develop more effective communication skills with your child
- Improve the Parent/Child Relationship
- Develop effective parenting strategies
- Get more enjoyment and reinforcement out of your relationship with your child
- Co-parenting assistance in divorce and separation
- Build skills and confidence as a parent
Please contact me with your questions or to schedule an appointment by clicking on this link contact me.
You can also call me directly at (805) 795-1238 or email me @ info.drmelissagondek.com.
I offer a free initial phone consultation prior to your first visit.
** The benefits and degree of success dervied from therapy including behavior intervention and parent coaching cannot be guaranteed and depend on several factors including but not limited to: a person's motivation to make changes, regular attendance at counseling sessions, consistency, and follow-through.